Friday, April 17, 2009

Abuse

The other day in my social work 523 class we began our section in child abuse and child protective services. We watched a video detailing what to look for as signs of abuse. It is so sad how often this happens. I learned alot of things that I did not know like how children will act in society when they have been abused. It was a really sad video to watch but I feel I have really learned alot from the video. The class last tuesday was very informative. What I found to be most disturbing besides phycial abuse was emotional abuse by caregivers to young children. Emotional abuse can really belittle a person and cause behavorial problems. I feel that emotional abuse often goes unnoticed because it does not leave any physcial evidence. I feel that it is a real harmful form of abuse that cause self esteem issues. Working with children can be very emotional but very rewarding to help one. This video has caused me to wonder if working with families and children is the best for me. Im really intrested in mental health and families and children; however, I do not know If i can handle dealing with abused kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment