Thursday, January 29, 2009

My thoughts about Sexual Abuse

Recently in Social Work 200, we have been watching videos of a young girl who was sexually abused as a child. I listened to her story and feel that this kind of stuff is happening to frequently today. Most sexual abuse goes unoticed due to the amount of fear children have of telling an adult what is going on. I feel there should be more advocates to stand up against sexual abuse among children so that they will become more empowered to stand up against sexual predators. Schools influence children second to their families and should do more to help children confess to whats going on. I think its a good idea for schools to spend a little bit more time talking to children emphasizing what is good touch and what is bad touch, so that they can become more familiar and aware of their situations. I strongly admire young lady who has the courage to speak up about what has happened to her. As a Social Worker in the future, I realize that I will unfortunately come across many kids who have been sexually abused. My goal is too help free these kids of their pain and help recreate their life so that they can experience a loving childhood they deserve. I feel like my future profession will be rewarding and excited at the opportunity to make a difference in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment